Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Why am I the Weird One?


“I've always found it interesting that women who do not generally practice birth control are the ones put in a class; "those people"..."those QF (quiverful) people". I find that odd.

Women whose bodies are doing what they were created to do have to explain why they aren't taking a synthetic drug that alters its normal function? Does this not seem odd?...


Imagine a person walking up to you at the store and saying, "Oh my goodness! You're having s*x with your husband just for pleasure? You are purposely preventing conception? Only two children? Do you not want any more?"

How offensive! But can I say this gently...that is more accurate than what so many who know the sting of being questioned about a larger than normal family is….

For centuries, couples have been pretty much having children every few years. Yeah people avoided certain times of the month, I'm sure, but the whole concept of just using birth control to stop after a child or two has been completely FOREIGN to the world until around the 1960's. So why is that group now the normal group, and the other group is "cultish" and weird?”

(Quotes from an article no longer available).

Having said this, I don’t mind questions such as “are they all yours.” I find most people really want to tell me about their families.

Now “Are you going to have more?” depends on who is asking. I have had that question from those who really wanted to know, maybe considering the issue in their own lives. I don’t mind them at all. Those with a condemning tone of voice though…

No comments:

Post a Comment